Skip to main content

Juicing Detox



So what is the hype around doing a juice detox?
I have just completed a 3 day performance detox with One-Juice, which is packed with nitratic oxide, plant proteins and probiotics. What makes this detox great is the fact that it is aimed at athletes, by helping with anti-inflammatory and building lean muscle.

My reason for juicing is that my system felt sluggish, digestion wasn't on point and I've been battling with sinus. I did the 3 day as my aim was not to lose weight, but rather just ‘reset’ my body and flush out toxins I may have gathered during the Christmas and New Years period. Its also helpful in resetting my mind to focus on healthy eating, getting out of bad habits of too much caffeine and chocolates.

The first day is the hardest, not having morning coffee or dinner. The day also feels a little bit longer – it also didn't help that it was the first full day back in the office. My morning started off with a warm cup of lemon water, as prescribed, to kick start my metabolism. My first juice was between 7 and 7:30. Thereafter I had a juice every 1 and a half to 2 hours, adding up to 8 juices a day in total. At 17:00 I had a Red Juice; which should be consumed before activity; about 30 minutes before I went for a run. Although I felt fine on the run, it was afterwards that I was craving a post run snack – at 18:30 I settled for my last drink of the day, the Protein Chocolate. The rest of the night I had water and warm lemon water.

Day 2 was a bit easier mentally as I knew what to expect and it was rest day, meaning no post exercise cravings. I hit a bit of a hunger patch around 16:00 as I was buying groceries and had my third last juice later than expected. This pushed my other 2 juices out by about 30 minutes, meaning I had my ‘dinner’ at around 19:00.

Day 3 was the easiest for me, knowing that it would be my last day. I had a runners conditioning class at 17:30, which meant Red Juice at 17:00. I felt strong during the session but felt a little bit hungry and moody afterwards. I ended up having my Protein Chocolate only at 19:00.

My Schedule:
6:00 - Warm Lemon Water
07:00/07:30 - Balance Juice


  • powerful anti-inflammatory
  • alkalising properties
  • Source of Vit A & C 














09:00 - Red Juice


  • antioxidants
  • nitrate and folate which improves athletic performance
  • anti-inflammatory 
  • alkalising properties
  • Source of Vit A & C 












10:30 - Protein Turmeric


  • amino acids to build lean muscle
  • anti-inflammatory - helps in muscle recovery
  • probiotic helps absorb protein and maintain a healthy gut.
  • dairy, lactose & gluten free













12:00/12:30 - Sweet Greens Juice


  • antioxidants
  • Source of Vit C, A, beta carotene, calcium and vitamins 















13:30/ 14:00 - Probiotic Celery Juice




















15:30 - Balance Juice

  • powerful anti-inflammatory
  • alkalising properties
  • Source of Vit A & C 















17:00 - Red Juice


  • antioxidants
  • nitrate and folate which improves athletic performance
  • anti-inflammatory 
  • alkalising properties
  • Source of Vit A & C 












19:00 - Protein Chocolate


  • amino acids to build lean muscle
  • cacao is a natural mood elevator 
  • probiotic helps absorb protein and maintain a healthy gut.
  • dairy, lactose & gluten free













18:30 - 20:30 - Warm Lemon Water
Water throughout day

So how did I actually feel during these 3 days? 
My sinus headaches still made an appearance in the afternoons, but it wasn't as bad as the last 2 weeks. Day 3 I definitely had more energy and woke up on the Thursday feeling more clear headed and bright. My skin is also glowing a little bit more and I am not feeling bloated and uncomfortable. I personally don’t feel as though I have lost weight, but I did get a comment on Wednesday from my conditioning coach that I look at bit more lean, which is not a bad thing (must be all those anti-inflammatories in the juices). During the 3 days I did not take any of my vitamins or medicines, as a way to purely focus of the detox process.

I loved the fact that for 3 days I didn't have to think about what I was ‘eating’ or prepare anything, which actually for me personally created a more positive mindset – nothing is worse than being stressed about food.

The downside now is that I am one of those people who battles to eat or drink something that I have forcibly removed from my diet, its sort of like a mental block because the juicing has made me feel so good that I am scared eating food will have a negative effect.

So, to get back into it, for Thursday and Friday I stuck to consuming water during the day, no coffee or tea. My plan is to have low carbs and fats, and higher protein. In terms of training, Thursday is a 5km Time Trial and Friday is 30 minutes.

Thursday:
Pre-breakfast: Lemon in hot water
Breakfast: scrambled egg, with one full egg and 2 egg whites, with a little salt.




















Morning Snack: A shake, USN ISOPRO, which is a zero carb, zero fat shake with 27g of protein.
Lunch: Bacon and spinach.




















Afternoon snack: Almonds and a fat bomb (from Keto Nutrition) for energy on my Time Trial. 























Dinner: Broccoli, Cauliflower and bacon Casserole.





















Friday:
Pre-breakfast: Green tea with senna and ginseng
Breakfast: scrambled egg, with one full egg and 2 egg whites, with a little salt and hot sauce
Morning Snack: NPL Diet Pro, Milk and Honey flavour
Lunch: Bacon and spinach with some feta
Afternoon Snack: 3 Slices Watermelon
Dinner: Frittata with salad


Overall I love how simple juicing is, as a way to detox and reset. 3 days is also a good start if you not sure you going to survive; I found I could have done the 5 or 7 day detox by the end of it. Also the feeling of being lighter and more energized is definitely worth it. Going forward I plan to do more detoxing, maybe 3 times a year as a way to destress and declutter my body. 

Just as a final note, I weighed myself on Saturday midday, after 2 and a half days of normal eating and found that I had lost 2kg since 17 November 2018. Unfortunately I am not sure my weight in December, so I cannot determine if this lose was gradual or mostly due to the juicing, but it still got me motivated to try keep it clean and fuel my body through more natural foods. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grain free Date Bread

A few weeks ago one of my dad's clients baked what we think was a date bread. Although I am mostly low carb and didnt know the ingredients of this bread, there was so much of it and I didnt want it to go to waste. Toasted, it was amazing, almost like a caramel taste. In all honesty, I found my running for the few days I ate the bread actually improved - I felt more energetic and had more endurance. I searched for a low carb or gluten free version that I can make myself. Carb wise you looking at about 15g on average per date, making it basically your enemy if you are low carb. Rather opt for cranberries - 13g per cup. As an athlete though, dates are so good for you - in moderation of course as 90% of the carbs in a date is sugar. Medjool Dates are high in Potassium (higher than oranges, bananas and spinach), which is great for heart health and to build muscle and proteins in the body. They are also high in fibre, meaning you stay fuller for longer. You also get an energy

HIIT #1

HIIT otherwise known as High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to get your heartrate up and get a full body workout in a short amount of time.  As the name suggests, the exercises used are often intense and the short recovery adds to it.  Most HIIT sessions are 20 seconds of workout, 10 seconds of recovery. I like to do 2 exercises per set, for 4 reps with 1 minute recovery and 4 sets in total to make up 20 minutes. If you are feeling up to it, you can increase a rep a week, but remember it is about intensity and not about overall time or seeing how much you can do.  Below are the exercises that I did yesterday: The workout I did: Set 1: Hurdles & Cones / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds hurdles, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 2: Speed band high knees / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds High Knees, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 3: Banded lateral shuffle / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 se

SA Lockdown - Days 1-4

So we have made it 4 days into lockdown... yippeee :) I thought I would recap my first 4 days into lockdown. To start off, I am still working, from home of course, so I still need to be available from about 7am to about 4pm. As such, I try get my workouts in before and after this time except on the weekend and the pre-lunch workouts (which are nice and quick). Day 1 Friday, 27 March My dads birthday - we were planning on going to craft beer library in Linden but of course with the lockdown we were not able to (something to do once we are out of lockdown). I decided to make one of my favorite cakes, an almond cake, but I made it gluten free as I am trying to be 80-90% gluten free following doctors orders. I started nice and early, so that it would be ready for my dads teatime break. The recipe can be found here , but I doubled up because it looked on the thin side: 230g Butter 4 Eggs 2 cup gluten free flour 2 cups castor sugar 4 tsp almond extract Sliced almond