Skip to main content

Orienteering @ The Campus

23 February 2020
The Campus, Bryanston


This map has become one of my favorites, because of its faster running nature and not so fast and intense reading.
The event started a little later than the other events because of the MyRun and instead of doing a run before hand, I decided to reserve my legs and lay in bed a little later than usual. The weather was at least cool and overcast.

I set off 3rd, at 9:47 and was surprised that I found control 1 on the map straight away - a good sign for what was to come.

Start > 1: Straight along the path, could easily see the control
1 > 2: Across the carpark, could see the control
2 > 3: Followed the road and fence round to the bench
3 > 4:Set off across the road, up to the little path and then turned right at the next road. Followed the road all the way along, checking off the carpark areas and seeing where #5 is. It was a long leg and the running speed wasn't there. Had a bit of doubt when I reached the area and almost ran past it.
4 > 5: Back down the road
5 > 6: Continued following the road to the entrance of the basement
6 > 7: Into the basement, had a small moment orientating the map and trying to see while the lights started turning on. I could see the outline of the building so I headed for it.
7 > 8: Left the control and headed for the left of the ramp. Wanted to run between the gap in the building - for flow it might have been better to go round the left.
8 > 9: Left out the same way I came in, headed to the left side of the basement, found the control by the fence.
9 > 10: headed around the fence to the ramp
10 > 11: down the ramp. Had my map the wrong way so started heading the wrong direction before orientating.Turned left and headed for the far right corner.
11 > 12: Turned around and just ran straight down the leg side to the corner
12 > 13: Headed to the ramp
13 > 14: Up the ramp, again almost turned wrong direction but I checked that the left direction looked far and right was close, so I knew to go right. Saw the control as I go closer
14 > 15: Headed straight along, could see the control
15 > 16: Headed around the left of the building but I ran right past control. When I saw the ramp I knew I went to far and went back
16 > 17: Headed to entrance of basement
17 > 18: Out of the basement, following the road to the right and up the hill, past #1. Could see the control as I got closer, so I left the road to cut across the grass
18 > 19: Back up the road, taking the next right turn towards the steps. Control bottom left of steps
19 > 20: Heading out the same way (I considered going around to avoid a dog leg but it would have been longer). Turned right back up towards the top of the road. At this point fatigue hit my legs and I was not my fastest. Control was at a tree on a embankment
20 > 21: Across the corner of the embankment, across the road, following the grass, could see the control
21 > 22: Following the road, turning right at the car park, left at the split and the control was on the right.
22 > 23: from control I turned right down the path, left down the stairs and taking the right fork in the car park - I think left was shorter and quicker. Up the hill to the tree in the corner
23 > 24: Back down the hill to the road - there was a car driving slowly but I wasnt sure if it was going to go, so I slowed down to cross but it didnt pass me, so I indicated I was crossing. I turned right at the next carpark and could see the control
24 > 25: Continued my direction, taking the left fork, to avoid stairs and adding any extra distance, first path right, to control
25 > Finish: down the path steps and across the field.



My watch showed 3.87km but it did not track in the basement, so it might have been closer to 4.5km.

I finished 2nd female, only 20 seconds behind Sarah W. Looking back I cant really think of where I could make it up as I didnt really make mistakes and I was able to read ahead all the way - there was just a few small moments in the basement such as where it was dark and I couldn't see the map, I got my map a little disorientated when changing between the basement levels and I ran past control #16 and had to go back. Still happy with this achievement.

I will be missing the next event on Sunday at the Botanical Gardens, as I am running the Vaal 10km but will be back for the night O on 7 March at  Eagle Canyon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grain free Date Bread

A few weeks ago one of my dad's clients baked what we think was a date bread. Although I am mostly low carb and didnt know the ingredients of this bread, there was so much of it and I didnt want it to go to waste. Toasted, it was amazing, almost like a caramel taste. In all honesty, I found my running for the few days I ate the bread actually improved - I felt more energetic and had more endurance. I searched for a low carb or gluten free version that I can make myself. Carb wise you looking at about 15g on average per date, making it basically your enemy if you are low carb. Rather opt for cranberries - 13g per cup. As an athlete though, dates are so good for you - in moderation of course as 90% of the carbs in a date is sugar. Medjool Dates are high in Potassium (higher than oranges, bananas and spinach), which is great for heart health and to build muscle and proteins in the body. They are also high in fibre, meaning you stay fuller for longer. You also get an energy

HIIT #1

HIIT otherwise known as High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to get your heartrate up and get a full body workout in a short amount of time.  As the name suggests, the exercises used are often intense and the short recovery adds to it.  Most HIIT sessions are 20 seconds of workout, 10 seconds of recovery. I like to do 2 exercises per set, for 4 reps with 1 minute recovery and 4 sets in total to make up 20 minutes. If you are feeling up to it, you can increase a rep a week, but remember it is about intensity and not about overall time or seeing how much you can do.  Below are the exercises that I did yesterday: The workout I did: Set 1: Hurdles & Cones / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds hurdles, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 2: Speed band high knees / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds High Knees, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 3: Banded lateral shuffle / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 se

SA Lockdown - Days 1-4

So we have made it 4 days into lockdown... yippeee :) I thought I would recap my first 4 days into lockdown. To start off, I am still working, from home of course, so I still need to be available from about 7am to about 4pm. As such, I try get my workouts in before and after this time except on the weekend and the pre-lunch workouts (which are nice and quick). Day 1 Friday, 27 March My dads birthday - we were planning on going to craft beer library in Linden but of course with the lockdown we were not able to (something to do once we are out of lockdown). I decided to make one of my favorite cakes, an almond cake, but I made it gluten free as I am trying to be 80-90% gluten free following doctors orders. I started nice and early, so that it would be ready for my dads teatime break. The recipe can be found here , but I doubled up because it looked on the thin side: 230g Butter 4 Eggs 2 cup gluten free flour 2 cups castor sugar 4 tsp almond extract Sliced almond