Skip to main content

About Me..

 It has been a while since my last post, so I thought I would just do an introduction of myself and quick update..


Hi,

I am Zoe Brentano-Murphy, 30, living in Johannesburg, South Africa.

I started running at about the age of 8 - my sister and dad are both runners.

I won my first cross country race at the age of 9 and probably since then I have been hooked on winning.

Growing up I cant really say I enjoyed running, but I always enjoyed the taste of victory and the attention it brought so I continued on with it until I matriculated in 2008.

After this I ran on and off - my only interest was actually Cross Country which I did every year.

I was still active - I cycled and took part in the sun city swim in 2001, even though I swim like a rock.

In 2015 I joined a coach and was happy with my progression until I picked up a calf/ achilles injury during a race in September. I continued with it until February 2016 when I went for a platelet injection in my achilles. This left me recovering for most of 2016 and then training back on my own.

In 2018 I spent 3 months in the UK, with not much running and picking up a fair amount of weight. I walked 10-15km everyday going to town and I learnt that  alone will never keep me trim. Once back in SA, I signed up for a generic program to help get me back under 25 minutes for a 5km. My first parkrun back saw me walking and my first time trial left me feeling frustrated with how much fitness I had lost. This was the first year I had missed a cross country season since 1998.

2019 I started to see results, but at the same time I started picking up a calf niggle that by the time SA cross country champs came around I was constantly running in pain (I was convinced my calves were tearing). I went for a few chiro appointments and needling but this just left me bruised and feeling good for a day. I spent half of September, October and November resting and training myself - I found that stair training helped a lot and started to develop stronger hip flexors to pick up my legs instead of pushing off from the calf. I also found a biokinetics, who I have been working with ever since.

December 2019 I found a coach that understand my struggle and the program was adapted to incorporate cross training to help build up mileage. Unfortunately due to her own goals, she stopped coaching at the end of 2019. I was recommended her mentor, who I started training with in January 2020.

My first goal for 2020 was the Vaal 10km, which I had not run previously. During February I picked up another calf strain, which meant no running for 2 weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed the Vaal 10km and was happy with the time. The whole race I kept telling myself to breath, relax and focus on form.

Then Covid hit and I did my own home sessions - between HIIT, cycling, strength and yoga, I was constantly moving. I also did not have the stress of going in to the office.

I picked up training on the road again as soon as we were allowed, however about a month in my calves started giving me trouble and I knew it was too much speed too soon. I took a week off and my first time trial back I tried to run within a comfortable but fast barrier. During this time I realized that my right hamstring was tight, which actually resulted in the pulling and tightening of my calf - so together my bio and I worked on this.

In August, a week after my 30th birthday I decided to do a session on a Friday (something I never do) and about 10 minutes in I had heart palpitations. I remember walking back up the road, feeling my chest like I normally do, waiting for them to pass. I felt the beats stop, bent over and passed out - I woke up in the middle of the road confused. I walked home and got taken to have 4 stitches put into my head.

I did some basic vitals the next week but nothing unusual - I took the next 2 weeks 'off', walking my dog and doing my bio exercises, being very mindful about my head.

After this downtime I did a time trial and continued with training as normal. 

In November I didnt really get a program so just did a repeat on October, but adding an extra rep or less recovery. On 28 November, during a hill pick up session I had the palpitations for the first time since August, along with a black out (everything goes black but I don't pass out), but I made sure I was sitting down on grass incase anything happened. During this time I started feeling my Achilles again - I didnt think much of it because I've had times when it niggled for 2 weeks and went away.

In December I decided to take a bit of a break and focus on gym work and easier running - unfortunately this made no difference to my Achilles or palpitations.

January 2021 - I joined a new coach and group so that I can have some 'security' for if something happens to me. I have had the palpitations and black outs twice during the track sessions but I made my coach aware that if I just randomly stop and sit down she knows why. After these 'episodes' I am completely fine, in fact my times are even better.

I attempted my very first 10km Cross Country as well, as except for the palpitations the last 4km, it was a fantastic opportunity.

So at the moment I am trying to work through my Achilles niggle while continuing with full training.

I will be saving up to see a cardiologist - as recommended by my doctor 

My goal for 2021 is just to keep improving, to keep being a better version of myself, be it physically, socially, mentally. The last year I have found motivation in myself to just keep moving, I don't need races to validate my improvement, I don't need races as a reason to keep training. I just remember that every training is an opportunity to improve myself only for myself and it's a bonus that I will be ready for when races become available. 


Other Facts:

I am qualified at speed, agility and quickness conditioning

I have a level 1 ASA coaches qualification

I am a qualified Spinning Instructor, and instructed at Virgin active for 2 years

I would love to me more involved in conditioning athletes - I think its so neglected but so vital for progress and injury prevention

I would love to go back to coaching - there is something so rewarding about seeing others succeed

I have represented Central Gauteng Athletics numerous times in cross country and track and 10km road in 2019

I have a UK Level 2 Orienteering coaching certificate

I have represented South Africa at the Junior World Orienteering Champs in 2009 and 2010 

I work as a system administrator, so I spend all day behind a desk - so yes I can relate to those tight lazy glutes and hip flexors

My passion is Cross Country and I prefer short distances over long distances - I like to test my bodies speed and would rather be over with a race quickly than a long slow drag, I don't think I could do it mentally

My most frustrating race is the RAC 32km - I missed the special medal by 14 seconds because I didnt know about it. The next year I bombed out while on target pace

I am on 2 committees - RACO (Orienteering) and Randburg Harriers (Running).

I enjoy giving back to the running community by volunteering at MyRuns, Parkruns, Club Runs and races - I believe that no one can complain until they have volunteered and know what actually goes on behind the scenes and how much is given up for free - and yes events won't happen without wonderful volunteers!

I think my ultimate goal is to be a fantastic Master and Grandmaster runner - to be able to pass people half my age and hear them say "wow look at her go". I sometimes hear this about my dad.

I studied a short course in nutrition and sports nutrition but it's something I am still working on - I suffer from a bit of food anxiety and obsession.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grain free Date Bread

A few weeks ago one of my dad's clients baked what we think was a date bread. Although I am mostly low carb and didnt know the ingredients of this bread, there was so much of it and I didnt want it to go to waste. Toasted, it was amazing, almost like a caramel taste. In all honesty, I found my running for the few days I ate the bread actually improved - I felt more energetic and had more endurance. I searched for a low carb or gluten free version that I can make myself. Carb wise you looking at about 15g on average per date, making it basically your enemy if you are low carb. Rather opt for cranberries - 13g per cup. As an athlete though, dates are so good for you - in moderation of course as 90% of the carbs in a date is sugar. Medjool Dates are high in Potassium (higher than oranges, bananas and spinach), which is great for heart health and to build muscle and proteins in the body. They are also high in fibre, meaning you stay fuller for longer. You also get an energy

HIIT #1

HIIT otherwise known as High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to get your heartrate up and get a full body workout in a short amount of time.  As the name suggests, the exercises used are often intense and the short recovery adds to it.  Most HIIT sessions are 20 seconds of workout, 10 seconds of recovery. I like to do 2 exercises per set, for 4 reps with 1 minute recovery and 4 sets in total to make up 20 minutes. If you are feeling up to it, you can increase a rep a week, but remember it is about intensity and not about overall time or seeing how much you can do.  Below are the exercises that I did yesterday: The workout I did: Set 1: Hurdles & Cones / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds hurdles, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 2: Speed band high knees / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds High Knees, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 3: Banded lateral shuffle / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 se

SA Lockdown - Days 1-4

So we have made it 4 days into lockdown... yippeee :) I thought I would recap my first 4 days into lockdown. To start off, I am still working, from home of course, so I still need to be available from about 7am to about 4pm. As such, I try get my workouts in before and after this time except on the weekend and the pre-lunch workouts (which are nice and quick). Day 1 Friday, 27 March My dads birthday - we were planning on going to craft beer library in Linden but of course with the lockdown we were not able to (something to do once we are out of lockdown). I decided to make one of my favorite cakes, an almond cake, but I made it gluten free as I am trying to be 80-90% gluten free following doctors orders. I started nice and early, so that it would be ready for my dads teatime break. The recipe can be found here , but I doubled up because it looked on the thin side: 230g Butter 4 Eggs 2 cup gluten free flour 2 cups castor sugar 4 tsp almond extract Sliced almond