Skip to main content

Night Orienteering @ Eagle Canyon

Saturday, 2 March 2019
Eagle Canyon Golf Estate


The first night orienteering event of 2019 kicked off this past Saturday at Eagle Canyon Golf Estate.
The night series is a firm favorite of mine as I find the navigation a bit easier and I find I am able to make up time for any errors with my running.

 On Saturday I attended a baby shower before the event, and with all the nice food around I did pig out more than I should have. This left me feeling a bit more nervous as I wasn't sure how it would affect my energy levels.
Working at registration at the event was also hectic with a lot of pre-entries to assist as well as a few on the day entries. This left my feet feeling sore from standing.
I was determined though to still go out and do my best and not use these things are excuses.

I chose my start time quite late, when there was a gap in registration, so I found myself amongst less competitive women and groups, which was nice.
Going to the start was about 700m, or so I was told. It was a good opportunity to do a warm-up jog to the start - something I do neglect.
With the start being in the dark it was quite difficult to see where everyone goes when they set off, but I could see that the womens course seemed to turn right from the start.


  • Start > 1: Turned right, followed the path along the vegetation. Control just off the path after the hill. 4th fastest
  • 1> 2: Dropped down to the bottom path and followed it all the way across the bridge *I could have cut across down the hill, but didn't have confidence yet*. I got stuck behind a golf cart on the bridge that stopped for other orienteers, so lost a bit of time. After the bridge I cut straight across, aiming for the edge of the houses. Following the fence, the control was pretty easy to find. 4th fastest
  • 2 > 3: I took a bit of time deciding on a route choice as I didn't read ahead. My first thought was to go left and follow the road (I saw Michele did this on Strava) but then decided to see if i could go between the dams - this route changed when I saw the veld and went back and headed towards the bridge. Crossing the bridge, I left the path and basically contoured along, almost parallel to the road. Considering my mistake, I was only 10 seconds slower than Michele. 3rd fastest
  • 3 > 4: Headed toward the dam and ran on the edge between the dam and the green, aiming towards the houses fence. Followed the fence along and left straight into the control. Quickest
  • 4 > 5: Exiting the control I ran back the way I had come from *I thought about going the top route, but running wise it looked slower and more map reading involved *. I joined the path and followed it all the way, aiming off when I reached the scattered trees. 2nd fastest.
  • 5 > 6: I delayed a bit on this one, going back past the start looked long but going closer to the houses had too much greenery to navigate. I decided to follow the path back past the start and exited out the path before the small building. I headed pretty straight across, I could see a bit of a hill and vegetation which I was aiming for. Quickest
  • 6 > 7: Basically straight line, I tried to find the footpath to avoid the veld, so wasted some time. Quite a few people coming out of this control so it was easy to spot once I started going down through the veld. Quickest
  • 7 > 8: Back through the veld and headed towards the path. Followed path all the way to the control. It was a good running leg. Quickest, gap to Michele was 45 seconds
  • 8 > 9: This was probably my worst control. My plan was to run to the bottom of the path and run around the dam. I didn't read the vegetation and found that there was only veld. I considered going through the veld up the hill to the path but then I saw eyes looking at me and decided against it. I ran all the way back up the path to the top and followed the path all the way around the dam. After the bridge I exited the path but found I went a bit too far left before seeing the control. On strava I saw that Michele went left from the control. between the dams and attacked the control from the opposite side. 6th fastest, 1 minute 15 slower than Michele, this is where I lost the time to her. 
  • 9 > 10: Ran straight up and followed the path all the way around. Once again I was avoiding the veld and opted for a faster running route. Quickest
  • 10 > 11: Followed the path straight down. Not my best control as I did read ahead on this one. 5th fastest
  • 11 > 12: Again didnt read ahead and seemed to have lost confidence, was quite slow running along the contour. 4th Fastest
  • 12 > 13: Straight up the hill and across. Could see the control so just ran for it. Quickest
  • 13 > 14: Followed the vegetation all the way around. Focused on pushing this leg Quickest
  • 14 > Finish: My best leg, there was tape to the finish, so I just had to run as hard as possible. Quickest

In the end I finished in 2nd place, which I was very happy about.  Overall a good event, some good opportunities for route choice and I found I lost time if I didn't read ahead. The sprinklers came on towards the end, which made it fun trying to find a route choice around them. Looking at other competitors like Michele on Strava, I can see where I lost time or where there was a better route to be taken.
Looking forward to the next night event at Leeukop in 2 weeks time.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grain free Date Bread

A few weeks ago one of my dad's clients baked what we think was a date bread. Although I am mostly low carb and didnt know the ingredients of this bread, there was so much of it and I didnt want it to go to waste. Toasted, it was amazing, almost like a caramel taste. In all honesty, I found my running for the few days I ate the bread actually improved - I felt more energetic and had more endurance. I searched for a low carb or gluten free version that I can make myself. Carb wise you looking at about 15g on average per date, making it basically your enemy if you are low carb. Rather opt for cranberries - 13g per cup. As an athlete though, dates are so good for you - in moderation of course as 90% of the carbs in a date is sugar. Medjool Dates are high in Potassium (higher than oranges, bananas and spinach), which is great for heart health and to build muscle and proteins in the body. They are also high in fibre, meaning you stay fuller for longer. You also get an energy

HIIT #1

HIIT otherwise known as High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to get your heartrate up and get a full body workout in a short amount of time.  As the name suggests, the exercises used are often intense and the short recovery adds to it.  Most HIIT sessions are 20 seconds of workout, 10 seconds of recovery. I like to do 2 exercises per set, for 4 reps with 1 minute recovery and 4 sets in total to make up 20 minutes. If you are feeling up to it, you can increase a rep a week, but remember it is about intensity and not about overall time or seeing how much you can do.  Below are the exercises that I did yesterday: The workout I did: Set 1: Hurdles & Cones / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds hurdles, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 2: Speed band high knees / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds High Knees, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 3: Banded lateral shuffle / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 se

SA Lockdown - Days 1-4

So we have made it 4 days into lockdown... yippeee :) I thought I would recap my first 4 days into lockdown. To start off, I am still working, from home of course, so I still need to be available from about 7am to about 4pm. As such, I try get my workouts in before and after this time except on the weekend and the pre-lunch workouts (which are nice and quick). Day 1 Friday, 27 March My dads birthday - we were planning on going to craft beer library in Linden but of course with the lockdown we were not able to (something to do once we are out of lockdown). I decided to make one of my favorite cakes, an almond cake, but I made it gluten free as I am trying to be 80-90% gluten free following doctors orders. I started nice and early, so that it would be ready for my dads teatime break. The recipe can be found here , but I doubled up because it looked on the thin side: 230g Butter 4 Eggs 2 cup gluten free flour 2 cups castor sugar 4 tsp almond extract Sliced almond