Skip to main content

Orienteering @ The Wilds

The Wilds Municipal Nature Reserve,
28 April 2019


Heading in to the event, I was a bit nervous firstly in terms of navigation and secondly in terms of running. Running has been my advantage this season and with a recent tendon injury in my foot, I wasn't sure how much strain I was going to take out there. Normally I do about a 10km run before events, but because of my injury I had to miss it. I still went for a 1km warm-up, to prepare my body.

I decided to go nearly last - I find I focus better if I am behind people, instead of thinking the whole time of who is going to pass me. I started 2 minutes behind Tania.

Start > #1: Followed the bottom path. Wasted time as I thought I had missed the control and was trying to figure out where on the path I was when I crossed the path that led to the gate. I continued going after I though I knew where I was, but it was a very good start. Initially I thought the control was on the right, but it was actually on the left. Easy to spot once I got to it.
#1 > #2: Straight along the path.
#2 > #3: Across the bridge, control was just on the path after the bridge
#3 > #4: Followed the path and took the path to the right that heads towards the dams. I ran across the grass and was heading too far right before realizing that the control was on the other side of a thicket, so I had to veer a bit left again to go around the thicket. This was a good leg to read ahead to #5.
#4 > #5: Leaving #4 I crossed the path and followed the vegetation boundary to the next path. Turned right up the path and could see the control below the boulder/ cliff
#5 > #6: Followed the cliff right, heading up towards the path. On the path, turned left and saw the control.
#6 > #7: Dropped back down to the path, turned left and left again up the path. Followed it all the way past the small ponds before ducking into the vegetation - could see the control, so it was just a case of making my way there. 
#7 > #8: Made my way up to the path - didnt aim off anywhere so probably went too much right. On the path junction I just went straight through the green - I considered going up the other path, to the little foot path but thought this would waste time. Followed the ridge along to the control. This was a slow leg because of the climbing over the rocks. When I got to the control I saw that it was easy to see from the path below, with a nice footpath from the orienteers - hindsight this would have saved me 30-45 seconds.
#8 > #9: Dropped down to path and followed it all the way to the control. My plan had been to cut the corner but the path to the control came up sooner than I had expected.
#9 > #10: Followed path along. Plan was to drop down into the vegetation after the path to the left, but I ran a bit further looking for an easier path to go through. Ended up too far left. Was able to see the control once I got a bit more over the ridge. Another slow leg with the rocks.
#10 > #11: Dropped down to the path and turned right. There was some yoga class happening on the lawns, so did not run through that way. Followed the path to the building, across top of open area and continued following the path around the building, down the stairs to the control
#11 > #12: Back up the stairs and path in front of the building. Took the 2nd path along and followed along to the control. Tried to read ahead to #13 on this leg.
#12 > #13: Followed path along to 2nd path from the left, before going into the vegetation. Control was further down to what I was expecting - also, had to fight the vegetation a bit more.
#13 > #14: Followed paths along to the bridge
#14 > #15: Ran across the bridge, control just on the other side
#15 > #16: Followed the path along. Dropped through the vegetation a bit too early - was worried I had overshot. Saw Brian punch the control.
#16 > #17: Followed a dirt path back up to the main path and turned left. Followed path all the way to the control. Read ahead to #18 to confirm how I was going to exit control.
#17 > #18: Turned back and went left, towards the little path, that lead to a main path and turned right down the path. Left path when I saw some rocks and the edge of the fence. Control was on the left.
#18 > #19: Went up along the fence and followed the fence at the top, to the path. At the path I turned left before taking the first path to the right. Control was easy to spot on the right. Slow going at the top with all the rocks
#19 > #20: Went back up towards the path and straight across. Went along ridge to the control
#20 > #21: Carried on towards the path, heading left. Cross the path, across the open area and along the ridge. Wasn't confident going along the ridge to this one, but didnt have any problems finding the control
#21 > #22: Headed down to the path and turned left. Ran behind the reservoir and through the vegetation. Found Tania and Pat Howell at this control.
#21 > #23: Super slow control with climbing over the rocks. Went down through the vegetation. I was caught up a bit with Tania and Pat as we all headed the same way.
#23 > #24: I dont think I put any thought into this leg, eager to catch up to and pass Tania, I went bashing through the vegetation, across the path (Tania turned left down the path) and bashing through vegetation again. I came across a small path that led to the main path. I wasn't really sure where I was, but thought I was too high up. Followed the path down until I got to my control. I saw Tania disappear over the hill as I got there.
#24 > #25: Up and over the hill, through the vegetation and across the path. Ran around the vegetation boundary to the control
#25 > #26: Back out around the vegetation, turning left, followed vegetation boundary to the control. Saw Tania, not sure if she had run past this control and had to come back.
#26 > Finish: Straight down to the finish.



Overall no mistakes as such. With the rocky pathways I battled to read ahead - I was more focused on where I was putting my feet. Navigation was slow, but not as bad as I was expecting. I did quite a bit of walking through the vegetation and rocky sections as I was being cautious about my injury - this was frustrating for me as it wasnt a runners course. My foot was ok, but the outside of my calf took a bit of strain with the uneven terrain. I lost a bit of concentration towards the end, once I saw Tania.

I ended up in 3rd on the ladies, a decent effort, finishing 2 minutes behind Michelle, which is about normal. Sarah Wimberley had an outstanding run to finish 2nd, about 30 seconds ahead of me.

Next event is in 2 weeks time on the Saturday night at the Joburg Country Club - I have my first Cross Country race on the same day.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grain free Date Bread

A few weeks ago one of my dad's clients baked what we think was a date bread. Although I am mostly low carb and didnt know the ingredients of this bread, there was so much of it and I didnt want it to go to waste. Toasted, it was amazing, almost like a caramel taste. In all honesty, I found my running for the few days I ate the bread actually improved - I felt more energetic and had more endurance. I searched for a low carb or gluten free version that I can make myself. Carb wise you looking at about 15g on average per date, making it basically your enemy if you are low carb. Rather opt for cranberries - 13g per cup. As an athlete though, dates are so good for you - in moderation of course as 90% of the carbs in a date is sugar. Medjool Dates are high in Potassium (higher than oranges, bananas and spinach), which is great for heart health and to build muscle and proteins in the body. They are also high in fibre, meaning you stay fuller for longer. You also get an energy

HIIT #1

HIIT otherwise known as High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to get your heartrate up and get a full body workout in a short amount of time.  As the name suggests, the exercises used are often intense and the short recovery adds to it.  Most HIIT sessions are 20 seconds of workout, 10 seconds of recovery. I like to do 2 exercises per set, for 4 reps with 1 minute recovery and 4 sets in total to make up 20 minutes. If you are feeling up to it, you can increase a rep a week, but remember it is about intensity and not about overall time or seeing how much you can do.  Below are the exercises that I did yesterday: The workout I did: Set 1: Hurdles & Cones / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds hurdles, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 2: Speed band high knees / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds High Knees, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 3: Banded lateral shuffle / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 se

SA Lockdown - Days 1-4

So we have made it 4 days into lockdown... yippeee :) I thought I would recap my first 4 days into lockdown. To start off, I am still working, from home of course, so I still need to be available from about 7am to about 4pm. As such, I try get my workouts in before and after this time except on the weekend and the pre-lunch workouts (which are nice and quick). Day 1 Friday, 27 March My dads birthday - we were planning on going to craft beer library in Linden but of course with the lockdown we were not able to (something to do once we are out of lockdown). I decided to make one of my favorite cakes, an almond cake, but I made it gluten free as I am trying to be 80-90% gluten free following doctors orders. I started nice and early, so that it would be ready for my dads teatime break. The recipe can be found here , but I doubled up because it looked on the thin side: 230g Butter 4 Eggs 2 cup gluten free flour 2 cups castor sugar 4 tsp almond extract Sliced almond