Skip to main content

Orienteering @ The Joburg Country Club

11 May 2019
The Johannesburg Country Club


Another night Orienteering event, and the last one for the year.
My Saturday was quite busy. I started off the day by doing Golden Harvest Parkrun, tailwalking with Alison and Rascal. I then had to rush home to get ready and leave for Cross Country in Dobsonville - It was the first race of the season and I was quite happy with placing 5th in the senior women 4km. Rushing home, it was my first weekend of feeding the feral cats at the local business park (there are 6 stations). Getting back home only to rush off again to the orienteering.

After being injured and taking some time off I wasn't feeling too confident in my running going in to the event, but the most I could do was try and focus on my navigation.
I decided to start before Sarah Wimberley, something that I havent done all season, so there was a bit more pressure.

Start >  1: Setting off I followed the path to the junction. I left the path and followed the path parallel to the control. It was actually a really easy control but I spent too much time reading the map.
1  >  2: Joined the path and followed it down to the second junction. I kept following the line that I was on to the control.
2 > 3: Took a compass bearing which was clearly wrong. I ended up climbing up to the path, having to relocate and then drop down to the control. Hind sight I should have followed the vegetation but I didnt even see it.
3 > 4: Compass bearing gone wrong again. Ended by #5, checked number but didnt look at control description (I thought I was in the gap just to the left of #4. I went through the vegetation to find nothing. I realized that there wasn't a path above the vegetation, so I decided to follow the vegetation around, where I found the path and the control. So much time wasted on this control.
4  >  5: Dashed to #5 because I knew where it was.
5  >  6: Left the vegetation, around the green and to the control
6 > 7: Followed the path, along the way along to the control. Was slow, trying to read the map and my confidence also was not so good at this point, I was worried I was going down the wrong path
7 > 8: I think this was my best leg - took a rough compass bearing and just ran in the general direction, ticking off major features as I went along. First feature was the sand bunkers, which was about halfway, confirming I was on track, even if I was a little too low. Saw the thick vegetation on my left and ran passed the area of scattered trees, followed by the little hill. Ran to the right of the pit and into the control.
8 > 9: Went to the path and along - it was only halfway to the control that I realized there was another path closer to the control and would have been quicker. At the junction I took the wrong path, which ended, so I wasted time here, getting back to the correct path.
9 > 10: Followed the dry ditch before going out to follow the vegetation for a bit. Found the end of the path and found the control
10 > 11: Rough compass bearing. To the right of the greens and sand bunker, through the veld, up to the thick vegetation, to the left of the sand bunker, through the veld and up to the road. I realized I was a bit too far right, so I ran left to where the dry ditch came into the road. Went through the veld and straight to the control.
11 > 12: Through the veld to the path, followed path to the control
12 > 13: Attempted to go through the green, but it was too thick, so I turned around and took the path to the other side of the vegetation. Through the veld to the path, across into the control. Not confident on this one, also not very happy going through veld at night.
13 > 14: Took the path. After the bend cut through the veld around the left of the thick vegetation to the path, taking the small path into the control.
14 > 15: Back out to the path and followed along to the control
15 > 16: Ran a bit along the path before cutting across the veld to the other path. Followed this path for a bit before going through the veld to another path. Followed this path to the control. On this route I ended up going too far along the one path before cutting across because I was looking for a good way through the vegetation
16 > 17: Followed the path. When I left the path I ended up going to far right (around the thick vegetation) and ending up on the wrong path. Luckily I could follow this path back to the control, but it was still time wasted.
17 > 18: Followed the path to the main path/ road. I decided I wanted to cut across instead of taking the first path to the right (which would have been the quicker and more sensible route). After cutting across, I found the dry ditch, followed by the path, so I knew where I was. I followed the path right, going into the control. I caught Tania at this control, but it was also where Sarah caught me.
18 > 19: Once again I did not take the sensible route of following the path, instead I cut across the veld again. I saw Tania and Sarah come out ahead of me - quite a bit of time lost. At the bottom of the vegetation there was a gap to the grass, following the bottom of the fence to the control. I think at this point I lost motivation.
19 > 20: Ran down to the side of the building and along. The control feature (Boulder) was easy to see. At this point Tania and Sarah had long left me and were already finished.
20 > Finish: Down to the path and into the finish control.

Overall a messy run; absolutely no confidence, especially after mistakes early on. Started getting tired towards the end.

Finished 2nd on the Womens course, behind Sarah W.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grain free Date Bread

A few weeks ago one of my dad's clients baked what we think was a date bread. Although I am mostly low carb and didnt know the ingredients of this bread, there was so much of it and I didnt want it to go to waste. Toasted, it was amazing, almost like a caramel taste. In all honesty, I found my running for the few days I ate the bread actually improved - I felt more energetic and had more endurance. I searched for a low carb or gluten free version that I can make myself. Carb wise you looking at about 15g on average per date, making it basically your enemy if you are low carb. Rather opt for cranberries - 13g per cup. As an athlete though, dates are so good for you - in moderation of course as 90% of the carbs in a date is sugar. Medjool Dates are high in Potassium (higher than oranges, bananas and spinach), which is great for heart health and to build muscle and proteins in the body. They are also high in fibre, meaning you stay fuller for longer. You also get an energy

HIIT #1

HIIT otherwise known as High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to get your heartrate up and get a full body workout in a short amount of time.  As the name suggests, the exercises used are often intense and the short recovery adds to it.  Most HIIT sessions are 20 seconds of workout, 10 seconds of recovery. I like to do 2 exercises per set, for 4 reps with 1 minute recovery and 4 sets in total to make up 20 minutes. If you are feeling up to it, you can increase a rep a week, but remember it is about intensity and not about overall time or seeing how much you can do.  Below are the exercises that I did yesterday: The workout I did: Set 1: Hurdles & Cones / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds hurdles, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 2: Speed band high knees / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds High Knees, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 3: Banded lateral shuffle / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 se

SA Lockdown - Days 1-4

So we have made it 4 days into lockdown... yippeee :) I thought I would recap my first 4 days into lockdown. To start off, I am still working, from home of course, so I still need to be available from about 7am to about 4pm. As such, I try get my workouts in before and after this time except on the weekend and the pre-lunch workouts (which are nice and quick). Day 1 Friday, 27 March My dads birthday - we were planning on going to craft beer library in Linden but of course with the lockdown we were not able to (something to do once we are out of lockdown). I decided to make one of my favorite cakes, an almond cake, but I made it gluten free as I am trying to be 80-90% gluten free following doctors orders. I started nice and early, so that it would be ready for my dads teatime break. The recipe can be found here , but I doubled up because it looked on the thin side: 230g Butter 4 Eggs 2 cup gluten free flour 2 cups castor sugar 4 tsp almond extract Sliced almond