Skip to main content

THRESHHold MSM

MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane and  is an organic form of sulphur, found in animals, humans, and many plants. It is becoming a popular form of anti-inflammatory as it has little to no side effects.

Why I take THRESHHold MSM
For the most part of 2018 I struggled with my right calf. It was in an odd place and no amount of foam rolling or stretching helped. In February, I saw an improvement after I rested for 2 weeks following servere gastro - the doctor had said my calf was in constant spasm as a result of my body fighting an illness. 
Between April and July I was in the UK and I did a lot more resting than training, however my calf was still giving me issues. I put this down to the fact that I was doing a lot of walking, something my calves arent use to. 
After getting back to SA, I started training a bit more, doing runs barefoot on the grass to try and build strength, but I think this made it worse. I got to a point where even at sitting my calf would hurt and sometimes even burn. 

In October I decided to go for some cryo therapy on my calf (like ice treatment) but this made no difference after 2 sessions. I ended up going to get a utra-sound, where I was told I have tarsal tunnel syndrome (compressed nerve in the ankle) and tendonosis. 






I was referred to a physio for exercises and given a weeks course of anti-inflammatory and nerve pain medication. I found the medication helped a little but also I was resting more. I started seeing the physio in November but she didn't do too much in the way of treatment as she couldn't really see where the problem was. At this point I was not on any pain or anti-inflammatory medication, simply because most of the brands cause me indigestion and chest pains. The physio had me mostly resting, which I knew didn't help (after resting for almost 3 months). 

During December I heard about THRESHHold MSM - one of the ladies I use to coach was now an ambassador for this product. I saw that Dischem had a special running, so I took advantage and bought 3 boxes of the 120 tablets and started taking them. 
I initially followed the chronic pain plan (2 tablets for 4 days, 2 tablets twice a day for next 4 days and then 3 tablets twice a day thereafter). After about 2 weeks I went down to 2 tablets twice a day and my training started increasing. The last time I saw the physio was 24 December. 
On 1 January, I did a double parkrun, and the next day was a hills session - my calf was feeling more tired than sore, simply because it had been a while since there was this load on it. After this hill session strangely I did not feel any pain again. 
I ran a 15km on 5 January and I expected to feel sore or a bit achy the next day, so I took 2 x 2 tablets - to my surprise waking up on Sunday no pain or tiredness in the calf. 

I have since been able to follow my training plan 100% and I haven't been back to the physio. I take the MSM in a maintenance dose, normally 2 tablets with breakfast. Some days, after a hard track session my calf feels tight but not sore, so the next day I just increase my dose as a means of prevention. I have also invested in a pair of stability running shoes and do basic prehab work for my feet and calves. 
I still suffer a bit with my achilles tendon (an injury from back in 2016) and tendonitis in foot arch, but once again I just increase my dose of MSM for a day or 2 and massage my foot - this inflammation is currently being caused by my arch collapsing, meaning I still have an inbalance somewhere I need to work on.



I did some of my own research and found that I might have actually suffered from pain in the Tibialis posterior muscle or flexor hallucis longus, this is the 20th most common running injury, so it could have been overlooked. It results in tarsal tunnel syndrome. 





Overall I think THRESHHold MSM has played a big part in my injury recovery and current maintenance of  pain and inflammation. I take the tablets religiously and am happy to report that I have not suffered from any side-effects except for a runners high after finishing my workouts pain free. 


THRESHHold MSM

Benefits:
Alleviates inflammation
Natural Pain reliver
Improves exercise recovery
Helps in treating muscle spasms 
Joint Health



Why do we need it?
Sulfur is removed from most of the foods we consume, leaving us deficient of this nutrient. 
Sulfur helps the body get the protein and amino acids we need.
Sulfur is known as a healing mineral and without it we often experience pain and inflammation.
Sulfur is involved in biological processes such as metabolism - it is present in insulin. 
Sulfur plays a critical role in detoxification




Take a look at how THRESHHold MSM can help you, be it in your everyday life or in improving your athletic performance: www.threshhold.co.za

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grain free Date Bread

A few weeks ago one of my dad's clients baked what we think was a date bread. Although I am mostly low carb and didnt know the ingredients of this bread, there was so much of it and I didnt want it to go to waste. Toasted, it was amazing, almost like a caramel taste. In all honesty, I found my running for the few days I ate the bread actually improved - I felt more energetic and had more endurance. I searched for a low carb or gluten free version that I can make myself. Carb wise you looking at about 15g on average per date, making it basically your enemy if you are low carb. Rather opt for cranberries - 13g per cup. As an athlete though, dates are so good for you - in moderation of course as 90% of the carbs in a date is sugar. Medjool Dates are high in Potassium (higher than oranges, bananas and spinach), which is great for heart health and to build muscle and proteins in the body. They are also high in fibre, meaning you stay fuller for longer. You also get an energy

HIIT #1

HIIT otherwise known as High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to get your heartrate up and get a full body workout in a short amount of time.  As the name suggests, the exercises used are often intense and the short recovery adds to it.  Most HIIT sessions are 20 seconds of workout, 10 seconds of recovery. I like to do 2 exercises per set, for 4 reps with 1 minute recovery and 4 sets in total to make up 20 minutes. If you are feeling up to it, you can increase a rep a week, but remember it is about intensity and not about overall time or seeing how much you can do.  Below are the exercises that I did yesterday: The workout I did: Set 1: Hurdles & Cones / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds hurdles, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 2: Speed band high knees / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 seconds High Knees, 10 seconds recovery, 20 seconds Shuttle Run, 10 seconds recovery) Set 3: Banded lateral shuffle / Shuttle Runs (4 sets - 20 se

SA Lockdown - Days 1-4

So we have made it 4 days into lockdown... yippeee :) I thought I would recap my first 4 days into lockdown. To start off, I am still working, from home of course, so I still need to be available from about 7am to about 4pm. As such, I try get my workouts in before and after this time except on the weekend and the pre-lunch workouts (which are nice and quick). Day 1 Friday, 27 March My dads birthday - we were planning on going to craft beer library in Linden but of course with the lockdown we were not able to (something to do once we are out of lockdown). I decided to make one of my favorite cakes, an almond cake, but I made it gluten free as I am trying to be 80-90% gluten free following doctors orders. I started nice and early, so that it would be ready for my dads teatime break. The recipe can be found here , but I doubled up because it looked on the thin side: 230g Butter 4 Eggs 2 cup gluten free flour 2 cups castor sugar 4 tsp almond extract Sliced almond